Pages

Friday, January 31, 2014

Henry and Kristl spied out Fort Apache, The Bronx(1981)

“I liked this movie!.” Kristl said while she leaned back into the couch as the credits rolled. She laid her black combat boots on the raised woodwork that Henry recently had made in front of the screen to enhance the mood of them being in a regular movie theater.It was part of Henry’s ongoing project to turn their garage-turned-cinema into a movie theater for real. That is why the walls had people like Katherine Hepburn, James Coburn and  Humphrey Bogart staring into the room from old movie posters that adorned the walls. Kristl had remarked something about being subjected to the scrutiny of dead people.
Behind them were lines of those folding movie chairs, which were non functional, as that had made them cheap, but still gave the feel that at any one time the room could be filled with a throng of people carrying big bags of popcorn and soda pops.

 “It was an engaging movie. I mean I sort of could connect with Paul Newman. And it gave me a feeling that what you saw was real. Not embellished or made to look heroic or just distorted for the sake of getting a message across.”

 “Hmm.”  Henry said.

 “Are you going to say…. that you did not like it?” Kristl said.

 “I feel pretty depressed.” Henry said.

 “Well, it seems to have been a depressing place. The south Bronx.”

 “There isn’t  really anything heroic. Not even the main lead is. I mean.. where does this all go? I feel a bit like when we watched The Road. Utter bleakness.Grey on grey.. and nothing is going to get better.”

 “Well, there is this human story of Paul Newman. Who as a veteran cop, still remains a cop, even after all what happened.”

 “Yeah.. but it felt like: you are no good for anything else, so what else are you going to do but be what you already are: a loser cop stuck in a dead end job, with an attitude and mostly shady colleagues for friends. And most of them are no good,  being racist, scumbags, lazy shifts and so on. At some point that new commissioner remarks how many of them are not doing their jobs. It is a dead end place. It is where the dirt is gathering because it can’t slide any deeper.”

 “The new commissioner. That was Ed Asner. I think that it was around that time he played Lou Grant. It was nice to see him act.”

 “Never heard of him.”

 “It was before your time.”

 “It definitely was. That's a movie from 1981.”

 “I was a teen then.”

 “No less. And did you already have those white spikes for hair?”

 “Not exact, they were blue or pink at the time.”

 “Geesh. You did not change much overtime.. except for getting older...” Henry wisely avoided in saying: more portly..

 “Actually I did. I got older and I changed back to what I was.”

 “I see.  A trip to nostalgia.”

 “Perhaps.”

 “Most of what you see in the movie I did see before. I think they call that a cliche. The good cop - bad cop thing. The new commissioner that wants to clean up the precinct. The bad cops killing people. The cocky bad guy.” 

 “Perhaps that is true, but maybe it is because much of those ideas became cliche in hindsight?”

 “Maybe..”

  “It does seems to  focus on the cops..if there are any other people those are either criminals or dope-heads. When you say that the police station is called Fort Apache because it is like a fort in the wilderness that protects the ‘good’ citizen, it would be nice if you got an idea of who they are protecting..”

 “I think I would rather see an action movie in which the good guys win and the bad guys lose.” Henry said, “Much more uplifting.”

 “But in a way it is uplifting. I mean the end is that the bad cop is arrested. The good cop stays on. There is even a sort of understanding between the commissioner and the main guy. And finally his colleague says he will stick with the good cop when he ‘rats’ on the bad cop.”

 “Hm.. I still feel depressed. I feel like I am in a sinking ship and the only thing I can do is to bail out the water with a paper cup. You could say: cool.., a paper cup is better than nothing, but I think it is not much better. It does not make you feel very happy.”

 “Is that the purpose of a movie? Make you feel happy?”

 “You don’t mean to say it should make you feel unhappy?!”

 “uhm.. I mean it can be meant to make you think or give you insight into the life of someone else. A glimpse of their life.”

 “A dim glimpse.”

 Kristl nodded.

 “I go for a beer.” Henry said.



http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082402/


No comments:

Post a Comment